Georgian 'urn' blue enamelmourning ring. Set centrally with a crystal covered rounded marquise shape plaque in a closed backrubover setting, encompassing fine hairwork beneath featuring a decorative enamel and gold funeral urn on a plinth with black letters 'MATT*W KENRICK, ESQ*T, OB 15. NOV 1781, AET 84', framed by a single row of millegrain followed by an additional blue fine enamelled border, further outlined by a single row of millegrain decoration all to a finely crafted beaded edge, the galleryengraved with a repeating chevron pattern, flanked by trumpeting shoulders with intricately engraved floral motifs terminating to a slim champfered shank, the reverse engraved in italic script 'Matthew Kenrick, Esq, Ob 15 Nov, 1781, Aet 84'. Testedrose gold, English, circa 1781.
Matthew Kenrick was a commissioner of stamps in London, who was mentioned on 'A list of Gentlemen educated at Merchant Taylors' School between 1660 to 1760. See Wilson, H. B., 'A History of the Parish of St. Laurence Pountney.', 1831, p. 265 for more details.