Byzantine betrothal ring. Set centrally with a flat square plaque engraved with two crowned full-length figures flanking a cross, all within a dotted border, and on a smoothly conforming D-shapeshank. Tested yellow gold, circa 7th-8th century AD, accompanied by an Oxford Labs X-ray fluorescence report stating the composition of the metal.
This is an extremely rare example of one of the earliest types of engagement rings. A highly similar ring can be found in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum (M.184-1937).