Medieval silver-gilt stirrup finger ring. Centrally set with an oval glass cabochon (incomplete) in a closed backrubover setting, to a triangular shaped bezel, the shoulders decorated with concentric chevrons, terminating in two clasped hands at the base, approximately 4.96g in weight. Tested silver gilt, circa 1150-1450 AD.
Rings which feature clasping hands are seen throughout history from as early as the Roman period through to the 19th century. The clasping of hands signifies the joining of two parties and these rings were given to symbolize love or betrothal. The name is taken from the Italian 'le mani in fede' meaning 'hands in trust'.
Accompanied by documentation stating that this piece was found in Tannington, Suffolk, in January 2014; reference SF-740b36. Under the Portable Antiquities Scheme, with supporting letter from the British Museum declaring this item is Treasure, disclaimed under the Treasure Act, Treasure reference 2014T121.