The firm Granat Brothers was established in 1905 in Stockton, California. Known for their innovative styles in fitted wedding rings and elegant diamond set engagement rings, the firm quickly made a name for themselves as skilled manufacturers. Brothers Joseph and Leo eventually moved their business to a larger home in San Francisco and opened their flagship store there in 1922. By 1961 Granat had a chain of nine retail outlets all specialising in wedding rings, engagement rings and a variety of jewellery items all with their signature look. In the decade from 1950 to 1960 they won the Diamond International Award for Excellence in Creative Designs for a consecutive eight years. The company was sold in the later part of 1961.