As a firm, Garrard can trace its origins back to the Georgian period, when in 1735 a young goldsmith by the name of George Wickes began to trade from a premises near Haymarket in Central London. Wickes was celebrated for his work in the fashionable rococo style and drew clients from amongst the elite and aristocratic, soon gaining the patronage of Frederick, Prince of Wales. Upon his retirement in 1760, Wickes was succeeded by two of his apprentices, John Wakelin and William Taylor who took control of the company until Taylor’s death in 1792, at which point Robert Garrard became a partner. In 1802, Garrard acquired sole ownership of the company and it would remain under the control of his family for the next one hundred and fifty years.
In 1843, Queen Victoria appointed Garrard as Crown Jewellers, and in this position the firm were responsible for producing jewellery for the royal family, as well as for upkeep of the Crown Jewels. Over the years they have produced numerous important pieces for their royal patrons, to include Queen Elizabeth’s coronation crown and the famous sapphire and diamond cluster engagement ring presented by Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer in 1981, and now worn by HRH the Duchess of Cambridge.