One of the most important French jewellers of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the house of Vever was founded in 1821 in Metz by Pierre Vever. His son Ernest succeeded him and moved the firm to Paris, and was eventually joined by his sons Paul and Henri, the later who became famous for his invaluable tome on French jewellery of the nineteenth century. Growing in acclaim, Maison Vever won the Grand Prix along with Boucheron at the Paris Exposition of 1889. The firm reached perhaps its zenith at the 1900 Paris Exposition, submitting glorious enamelled and jewelled pieces in the Art Nouveau style, which again won them the Grand Prix. The firm was then handed over to Paul's sons, André and Pierre.