The jewellery firm of Giuliano was founded in London by the Neapolitan-born Carlo Giuliano (1831-1895) in the 1860s. With his first mark registered in 1863, the early history of the company is uncertainly, however it seems likely that Carlo came from his master’s workshops in Rome—the great Archaeological revivalist jewellery house of Castellani—to manage the new London outlet. Whatever the precise sequence of events, Carlo established his independent shop at 115 Picadilly in 1874. Though his earliest works were much in the style of his master, in the mid-1870s Giuliano developed his own distinct style, turning towards inspiration from Renaissance jewels, and incorporating colour via enamel and unusual gemstones. Upon his death, the company passed to Carlo’s two sons, Arthur Alphonse (1864-1914) and Carlo, who maintained their father’s success with many royal commissions, until the firm closed in 1914 with the death of Arthur.